The Harrods Furniture Depository building in Barnes, a familiar Thames-side marker for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race, survives as an important early example of the Kahn system of concrete reinforcement. Opened in 1894 for the storage of large furniture items that were impractical to ship from Harrods store in Knightsbridge and completed in 1913 with an impressive terracotta Baroque-style facade designed by William George Hunt that echoed the Knightsbridge store, topped by a pair of cupolas, it has a south wing, although never so extended to the north. It used a special lift at the rear of the building capable of carrying loaded containers to the relevant floor to minimise handling, with roadways running the entire length to access the relevant storage compartment. Having outlived its usefulness as a warehouse, the building was Grade II listed in 1990, listing number 1254280 and, together with the adjacent soap and candle factory buildings, was converted and incorporated into the Harrods Village residential estate as William Hunt Mansions. It is located in the Castelnau conservation area of Richmond-upon-Thames. This view, taken from the towpath and partly obscured by a leafless mature tree, shows the building's south wing and its flanking wall, the bricked-in ends of the roadway levels clearly visible to the left of the picture. A concrete slatted wall, topped with barbed wire, surrounds the perimeter of the site. Two cyclists are also a shown taking a leisurely ride along the towpath away from the viewpoint.