View of the Water Gate, Essex Street, City of Westminster. Essex Street is a cul-de-sac running south from the Strand. It was laid out by Nicholas Barbon between 1675-1680, in the grounds of Essex House, formerly Leicester House built in 1575 by Robert Dudley, first Earl of Leicester. Barbon's Watergate was a feature at the end of the street, giving access to the riverbank, while separating the newly-developed street from the wharf and warehouses below. Fluted Corinthian pilasters and square-headed archivolt arch, it was adopted by the Essex Street publishers Methuen & Co as their logo. The arch was seriously damaged by World War II bombing, and after repair in 1953 was incorporated into an office building. It is Grade II listed, listing number 1066823. A lamp standard by the arch, and to the right at number 23, a large arched entrance with a sign, 'Engineering Employers London Association'.