An interior view of a south-east room of St James's Vicarage, Butcher Row, Stepney, with a chimneypiece and columned doorway with boarded door. Murals on the walls have painted column surrounds and depict countryside scenes. There is another mural of a large urn. There is debris on the floor. TThis Georgian vicarage, originally known as The Master's House, was built in 1795-96 for sugar refiner and Director of the Phoenix Assurance Company, Mathew Whiting. It became vicarage of St James's, the parish church of Ratcliffe, upon its completion in 1838 , and until the destruction of the church during World War II, when the vicarage itself sustained damage. In 1948 the church site and the vicarage became the East London home of The Royal Foundation of St Katherine, and remain so today. The vicarage has undergone extensive renovation, and has a blue plaque on its Butcher Row frontage commemorating the Reverend St John Groser 1890-1966, priest and social reformer who had lived here.