A view of the front of St James's Vicarage, Butcher Row, Stepney, showing bomb damage, boarded-up windows, and an Anderson shelter in the front garden. To the right part of the Church of St James Ratcliffe, which was destroyed by bombing during World War II, can be seen. This Georgian vicarage, originally known as The Master's House, was built in 1795-96 for sugar refiner and Director of the Phoenix Assurance Company, Mathew Whiting. It became vicarage of St James's, the parish church of Ratcliffe, upon its completion in 1838 , and until the destruction of the church during World War II, when the vicarage itself sustained damage. In 1948 the church site and the vicarage became the East London home of The Royal Foundation of St Katherine, and remain so today. The vicarage has undergone extensive renovation, and has a blue plaque on its Butcher Row frontage commemorating the Reverend St John Groser 1890-1966, priest and social reformer who had lived here.