View of the Elephant and Castle, Newington, looking south along Newington Butts. The Elephant and Castle, a major crossroads since Roman times, is named after a coaching inn set at the junction. The area suffered devastation on 10th May 1941 during World War II bombing. On the right is the classical portico of the Baptist Church, The Metropolitan Tabernacle, designed by William Willmer Pocock, completed in 1861. Seriously damaged by bombing, it is encased in scaffolding, the facade with Corinthian columns and a triangular pediment was restored, and the church rebuilt on the original perimeter walls but to a different design. The clocktower of St Mary's Newington is in view. An early church was demolished in 1720, leaving only the clock tower, which was incorporated into the new building. This church including the tower was demolished in 1876, but the clocktower rebuilt in 1877 in Gothic style. It fell into disrepair, and was demolished in 1971. To the right is a branch of the Midland Bank. This building was demolished and the site became part of the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre in 1963, itself demolished in 2021 and now high-rise apartments. Directly ahead are the roadworks to form the southern Elephant and Castle roundabout at the junction of the Walworth Road and Newington Butts. A sign advertises the constructor’s Murphy's. In the distance is a row of shops at 85-127 Newington Butts including at 99-101 The George pub. These buildings were demolished and on the site was built the Draper Estate, which now includes the 43-storey Strata building.