View of New Kent Road, Newington, looking west towards the Elephant and Castle. The Elephant and Castle, a major crossroads since Roman times, is named after a coaching inn set at the junction. The area suffered devastation on 10th May 1941 during World War II bombing. On the left, number 12-14 New Kent Road is occupied by a bank. This was demolished and on the site in the 1960s, the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre was built, itself demolished in 2021 and now the site of high-rise flats. On the right, on the corner of Newington Causeway and the New Kent Road, is The Rockingham Arms pub, on the site since the early-nineteenth century. Adjacent is the Trocadero cinema designed by George Coles and opened in 1930 seating 3500. It housed the largest Wurlitzer Organ in Europe. These buildings were demolished in 1963, and on the site was rebuilt the Elephant and Castle pub and office blocks designed by Hungarian-born modernist architect Ernő Goldfinger, now Grade II listed, listing number 1405570. Ahead, on the corner of London Road and St Georges Road, 67-68 London Road is a four-storey office building with a shop at the ground floor, Burton's men tailors. This site now forms part of the northern Elephant and Castle roundabout. A number of vehicles including trams are queueing along the New Kent Road, and there is a bus stop to the left.