View of the New Kent Road, Newington, looking east from the Elephant and Castle. A major crossroads since Roman times, Elephant and Castle is named after a coaching inn set at the junction. On the right is The Elephant and Castle Hotel built in 1898, with a statue of an elephant with a castle on its back on the roof parapet, and below a sign for Truman's Beers. Across the Walworth Road, number 1 New Kent Road a six-storey building with a shop on the ground floor, Dunn and Company, men's wear. On the roof parapet is an advertisement for 'VP Wines, The Pick of the Vine'. These buildings were demolished and became part of the site of the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre, itself demolished in 2021, and redeveloped as high-rise housing. On the left, on the corner of Newington Causeway and the New Kent Road, is The Rockingham Arms pub, on the site since the early-nineteenth century. In front, a man on a bicycle rest his hand on the metal railings leading to a subway. Adjacent is the Trocadero cinema designed by George Coles and opened in 1930 seating 3500. It housed the largest Wurlitzer Organ in Europe. These building were demolished in 1963, and on the site was rebuilt The Elephant and Castle pub and office blocks designed by Hungarian-born modernist architect Ernő Goldfinger and constructed for Arnold Lee of Imry Properties. Its first tenants were the Department of Health and it was known as Alexander Fleming House. In 2002 it was converted to flats, and is known as Metro Central Heights and Grade II listed, listing number 1405570. Across the New Kent Road a railway viaduct carrying trains towards Blackfriars railway bridge, on the side an advertisement for Hayward's Military Pickle. In the distance the spire of St Matthews Church, New Kent Road, built by Harry Jarvis Senior in 1867. It was remodelled by Martin Traers in 1927 and demolished in the 1990s. There are numerous pedestrians, also many vehicles including Routemaster buses, lorries and a Morris Minor.