View of Elephant and Castle, Newington, looking north to Newington Causeway. A major crossroads since Roman times, Elephant and Castle is named after a coaching inn set at the junction. The area suffered devastation on 10th May 1941 from World War II bombing. The rooftop view shows a vacant site, with the footprint of houses in Pastor Street on the left. This site was rebuilt as the London College of Printing, now the London College of Communication. On the left on is a traffic island, number 67-68 London Road, and a four-storey office building with a shop on the ground floor, Burton's men tailors. In 'streaky bacon' brickwork, number 1-7 Newington Butts is a four-storey building with the attic storey missing, built in 1898. One half is The Elephant and Castle Hotel, the other is apartments with shops on the ground floor, one Bransons. On the right, on the corner of Newington Butts and Walworth Road, is a three-storey terrace. Number 15-21 Newington Butts are occupied by a confectioners, and The Castle Restaurant and Snack Bar. Number 23 is The Waggon and Horses pub on that site since the late-eighteenth century. These buildings were demolished and became part of the site of the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre, itself demolished in 2021, and redeveloped as high-rise housing. There are numerous vehicles including Routemaster buses, lorries and cars.