Kinglsey Mission Hall in Powis Road
Kinglsey Mission Hall in Powis Road
More information
Kinglsey Mission Hall in Powis Road
SC_PHL_01_293_76_14387 (Collage 98992)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Front and side elevations of Kingsley Mission Hall, Powis Road, Poplar, looking north-east. A four-storey brick building with iron railing balcony in front of three tall arched windows on the second floor. The building is derelict with many of the windows broken and the first floor windows facing the street are boarded up. A blue plaque on the wall reads "Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948) stayed here in 1931" and the room where Ghandi stayed has been preserved. In 1935, hunger marchers on the Jarrow March stayed at the Hall. From 1965-70 Kingsley Hall became home to the Philadelphia Association and one of the most radical experiments in psychiatry but had to close due to hostility from local residents which is why it has been boarded up. To the right of the building, behind a wire mesh fence is a small garden with wooden benches, raised flower beds and a wooden shed. To the left of the building is a vacant lot that was previously 25-33 Bruce Road and behind that the front elevation of the derelict John Bull public house at 34 Bruce Road (since demolished). Kingsley Hall was Grade II listed in 1973; List Entry Number 1357884.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.