Swing Bridge on Preston's Road
Swing Bridge on Preston's Road
More information
Swing Bridge on Preston's Road
SC_PHL_01_293_74_120_373A_16 (Collage 98977)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
General view of Preston's Road, Poplar with the swing bridge over Blackwall entrance lock to the West India Docks, looking north. The road was named after land in the area owned by Sir Robert Preston (1740-1834) of Woodford, who had made his fortune as a captain in the East India Company. The swing bridge has separate lanes for traffic, is of riveted iron construction and was notoriously narrow which caused problems for larger vehicles. The northern entrance to the bridge has concrete street lamps either side of the road. An AEC Regent III RC double decker bus (registration LUC 194) travels in a southerly direction on route 277 from Poplar towards Limehouse on the southern loop has advertisements for Battersea Park fun fair which is open daily. In the background is a partial view of the roof of a goods shed in the docks. In 1987 the middle lock gates were removed and the entrance lock dammed and not long afterwards the bridge was removed and Preston’s Road was broadened and straightened.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.