View of Poplar High Street
View of Poplar High Street
More information
View of Poplar High Street
SC_PHL_01_293_70_120_126_5 (Collage 98944)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
General view of Poplar High Street, looking east by Bickmore Street, Poplar. On the right beyond two men walking on the pavement is the entrance to Bickmore Street which originally led to the laundry of a Workhouse. During the war the Workhouse sustained extensive bomb damage and it was decided not to attempt to reinstate the buildings, and in 1941 they were assigned to the LCC's Town Planning Committee's control to be used as a storage depot. Beyond Bickmore Street, the building on the right at 112-124 Poplar High Street, with columns on the face of the upper storey, was previously a school that subsequently became the Poplar Technical College (since renamed New City College). Next to the college, at 126 Poplar High Street is a library built in 1894 which has since become part of the college. On the left behind the brick wall is a bowling green (subsequently moved west to make way for the Poplar Play Centre) and further down the road the first house, at 115 Poplar High Street, is St Matthias's Vicarage now called Meridian House. Beyond the vicarage, at 117 Poplar High Street with the dome and spire, is the side elevation of the Poplar Town Hall and Council offices which has since been converted to the Lansbury Heritage Hotel. In the far distance are the chimneys of the Brunswick Wharf Power Station (also known as Blackwall Power Station). It was a coal and oil-fired power station on the River Thames at Blackwall on the site of the former East India Dock. The power station was decommissioned in 1984, and the site was redeveloped as a private residential estate. A Ford Cortina Mk1, a Ford Anglia, a dust cart and several other vehicles can be seen in the road. The New City College building was Grade II listed in 1983, listing number1260095. St Matthias's Vicarage was Grade II Listed in 1950, listing number1357883. The Poplar Town Hall was Grade II listed in 1983, listing number1260135.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.