House in Poplar High Street
House in Poplar High Street
More information
House in Poplar High Street
SC_PHL_01_293_64_6094 (Collage 98938)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Front and side elevation of what was thought to be a sixteenth-century, timber framed home and Eagle Tap public house, at 151 Poplar High Street, Poplar, looking north-east. The two-storey home has a single-storey flat roof extension facing the street which was the "brewery tap". In 1932 the building was purchased by the council and converted in 1933 to working class housing with access from the street to the upper flats via the staircase on the right. Open iron gates lead to a small yard and 151a Poplar High Street, called Eagle Works, a timber yard that used to be the Poplar Brewery. The stone eagle that used to adorn the top of the flat roof extension has been relocated to the top of the wide, angled pediment of the Eagle Works building which is divided by pilasters and is rendered. Stacks of timber are visible in the yard and in the open doorway in the background. In the background, behind the Eagle Works building, is a partial view of the top floor of 28-64 Smythe Street on the St Matthias Estate. On the right number 153 Poplar High Street is derelict and behind that in the background is the top floors of 66-92 Smythe Street on the St Matthias Estate. The buildings were demolished in February 1972 and this is now the location of gardens in front of 1-26 Landon Walk on the St Matthias Estate.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.