View of Cold Harbour
View of Cold Harbour
More information
View of Cold Harbour
SC_PHL_01_289_69_1314 (Collage 98328)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
View of Cold Harbour looking north from the junction with Managers Street on the Isle of Dogs in London Docklands. North Wharf is on the right behind a tall timber palisade. Opposite, on the corner of Managers Street, is the entrance to a depot where stacks of metal drums can be seen. Further up the lane on the right is the side elevation of number 15, Cold Harbour, which still stands today. The three-storey building was built in 1843-44 for Benjamin Granger Bluett, a joiner, mast and block maker. It was acquired by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in 1894 to expand its facilities at the ambulance centre next door at North Wharf which was used to transfer north London’s smallpox patients to hospital ships moored on the Thames or to Darenth to convalesce. The building still survives today and was listed Grade II in 2003, listing number 1390543. Both North Wharf and the industrial site opposite have been demolished and replaced with modern apartment blocks.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.