Lindsey House in Cheyne Walk
Lindsey House in Cheyne Walk
More information
Lindsey House in Cheyne Walk
SC_PHL_01_064_71_3459 (Collage 57184)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Entrance gate to 99-100 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. The construction of Lindsey House date is obscured by the many alterations which the house has undergone, the most drastic being its division into four separate dwellings in 1775. It is likely to have been rebuilt in its present external form by the third Earl of Lindsey in 1674, the date visible over the porch. Around 1909 the then tenant, Sir Hugh Lane, founder of the Dublin Art Gallery, set about the restoration of the house and garden. He appointed the architect Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944) to redesign the garden and parts of the house. Gertrude Jekyll (1843-1932) provided the planting plan for the garden. The property, which is now owned by the National Trust, continues to be used as a private residence.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.