Argyll House in King's Road
Argyll House in King's Road
More information
Argyll House in King's Road
SC_PHL_01_068_81_9487 (Collage 57074)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Front elevations of Argyll House, situated at 211 King's Road, Chelsea. A smartly dressed gentleman holding a spade stands in the road whilst three children of varying ages can be seen posing for the photograph on the pavement either side of the gates of the house. Designed by the Venetian architect Giacomo Leoni, it was built in 1723 on the corner of Kings' Road and Oakley Street. It takes its name from the fourth Duke of Argyll, who spent the last two years of his life there between 1769-1770. It has been described as Chelsea's most Palladian building. The house was the centre of London society in the early twentieth century, when it was owned by Lady (Sybil) Colefax. Her parties here were renowned and her guests included Fred Astaire, George Gershwin, Noel Coward, Virginia Woolf and Winston Churchill. It is thought that Ernest and Wallace Simpson were introduced to the Prince of Wales here in 1935.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.