Chelsea Register Office in King's Road
Chelsea Register Office in King's Road
More information
Chelsea Register Office in King's Road
SC_PHL_01_068_75_8323 (Collage 57031)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
View from opposite Dovehouse Green of the front elevations of 244-250 King's Road, Chelsea, which at the time of the photograph was the original site of the Chelsea Register Office. Notable marriages here include Bessie Wallis Warfield, who married her second husband Ernest Simpson, becoming Mrs Wallis Simpson. Judy Garland also got married here in 1969. This register office continued on this site until 1978 when it moved to new premises, across the road in the Chelsea Old Town Hall. Previously the building located at 244-250 had been offices of the Board of Guardians built in 1883. Directly behind these offices were the buildings that formed the Chelsea Workhouse and the top of the aged and infirm women's block can also be seen.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.