The Pheasantry in King's Road
The Pheasantry in King's Road
More information
The Pheasantry in King's Road
SC_PHL_01_068_71_498 (Collage 56953)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
The Pheasantry, 152 King's Road, Chelsea. Grade II listed, Georgian building built in 1769. The site gets its name from the business of one of its nineteenth century residents, Samuel Baker, a game dealer who provided pheasants for the royal household. Significant architectural decoration including the facade and entrance arch were added in the early 1880s. The ground floor and basement was a members-only restaurant and drinking establishment from 1932 until 1966, inhabited by the likes of Dylan Thomas, Humphrey Bogart and latterly Anthony Hopkins. In 1966 the ground floor became a nightclub which continued into the 1970s and although mainly a disco, it also hosted gigs by unknown up and coming artists and bands such as Lou Reed and Queen. Residential apartments were on the upper levels and notable residents included Eric Clapton and Germaine Greer.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.