London Improvements: New Road from Paddington to Islington
London Improvements: New Road from Paddington to Islington
More information
London Improvements: New Road from Paddington to Islington
p750349x (Collage 27155)
London Metropolitan Archives: Main Print Collection
Plan of the New Road from Paddington to Islington. The New Road was built through an Act of Parliament in 1756. It was designed as a bypass to allow drovers to move livestock to Smithfield Market without going through the wealthier areas of central and west London. The New Road as built is shown by the upper dotted line running between Tottenham Court Road in the west and Islington in the east. The line of the New Road still exists but from 1857 the sections of it gained their current names of Marylebone Road, Euston Road and Pentonville Road.

The lower and straighter dotted line was also proposed as a more direct route but this did not gain approval.

Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.