Site of houses in Rutland Gate
Site of houses in Rutland Gate
More information
Site of houses in Rutland Gate
SC_PHL_01_457_54_86 (Collage 128836)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
A view of a vacant site formerly occupied by a pair of terraced houses at 43 and 44 Rutland Gate, Knightsbridge. The image shows rough ground in which there is a hole. At the rear of the vacant site is a wall with an open gateway. A plaque placed beside it by the City of Westminster reads: "This boundary wall of the Rutland Estate was destroyed by a bomb during World War II, on 25 September 1940. At the request of residents a right of way was established when the wall was rebuilt by the city of Westminster in 1948 and has come to be known as 'the hole in the wall'. Unveiled on 28 October 1988." Beyond the wall are the front elevations of terraced houses at 20-28 (even) Rutland Street. To the left are the rear elevations of mews houses in Montpellier Walk. All these houses still exist. The bonnet of a car be seen in the area behind one of the mews houses. The vacant site is occupied by houses in Rutland Mews East.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.