Manning House and buildings in Carlisle Place and Francis Street
Manning House and buildings in Carlisle Place and Francis Street
More information
Manning House and buildings in Carlisle Place and Francis Street
SC_PHL_01_453_75_22765 (Collage 128492)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
A view of 22 Carlisle Place, Westminster, a four-storey Victorian office building with basement later named Humglas House, then Manning House looking in the direction of Francis Street, Pimlico. The building which was built as the Guardsmen' Institute in c1867 by H. A. Darbishire shows elements of the Victorian Italianate architectural style with modern twentieth-century alterations visible on the top floor of the building. The building was used as the palace of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster between 1873 and 1901. By the ground floor windows can be seen flower boxes and fronting the building are iron railings. Either side of the entrance can be seen two large lanterns and above the entrance is a sign with 'Humphreys & Glasgow Ltd' written on it which is a Petrochemical Engineering business. To the right of the building can be seen part of a four-storey residential mansion block with basement, Carlisle Mansions, which was built c1880s-c1890s. At the end of the street in Francis Street is a five-storey block of flats called Victoria House which was built c1950s. In the street can be seen two lampposts, a parking meter and parked vehicles: a van and cars including a Beetle motorcar. At the foot of the fire escape stairs at the side of the building a cylindrical rubbish bin can be seen.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.