Interior of a house in Adelphi Terrace
Interior of a house in Adelphi Terrace
More information
Interior of a house in Adelphi Terrace
SC_PHL_01_435_B2428 (Collage 128186)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
First-floor front room ceiling at 8 Adelphi Terrace, the Strand. It features a central roundel and semicircular medallion which would have contained classical figurative scenes painted by artists such as Angelica Kauffman and Antonio Zucchi. The room is partitioned by wall which is below ceiling height. Adelphi Terrace (also known as the Royal Terrace) was a neoclassical block of eleven terraced houses overlooking the River Thames. It was developed by the Adam Brothers between 1768 and 1774 and designed primarily by Robert Adam; its name, 'Adelphi', is Greek for 'brothers'. From 1926 until its demolition in 1936 number 8 was home to the British Drama League. Adelphi Terrace no longer exists. In 1927 the Adelphi estate was sold at auction, and in 1936 many of the houses, including the great riverfront terrace and its underground vaults, were torn down and a new Art Deco Adelphi building (designed by Collcutt & Hamp) erected in their place. The houses were stripped of their fittings and auctions which took place in April and May 1936 included chimneypieces, grates, wainscoting and doors, dado rails, columns and balconettes.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.