Interior of Lansdowne House in Berkeley Street
Interior of Lansdowne House in Berkeley Street
More information
Interior of Lansdowne House in Berkeley Street
SC_PHL_01_444_A8518 (Collage 127638)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
View of reception room chimneypiece at Lansdowne House, Berkeley Street by Berkeley Square, Mayfair. A fireplace with iron grate and ash. Decorated surround in neo-classical style and lamps either side of the mantel. Flock wallpaper. This grand Classical style three-storey house by Robert Adam was built between 1762 and 1768 for Lord Bute, First Lord of the Treasury, and sold to William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne. Its previous occupiers include William Waldorf Astor (1891-93) and Harry Gordon Selfridge (1920s). It was altered in the 1930s by Wimperis, Simpson and Guthrie, after an approach road was built by the local authority and part of its eastern wing was demolished. It has been used by the Lansdowne Club since 1935. The house is now known as Fitzmaurice House, 9 Fitzmaurice Place, and is Grade II* listed; listing number 1066795.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.