Houses in Hackford Road
Houses in Hackford Road
More information
Houses in Hackford Road
SC_PHL_01_247_75_7516 / 1272c (Collage 94054)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
View of a row of two-storey terraced houses, built in the 1820s, at 12-28 Hackford Road, Stockwell. The windows of number 26 are boarded up and numbers 16-12 are enclosed by corrugated iron fencing. Three men in flat caps are digging up the pavement outside number 24. Two women are standing on the front path of number 20 with three children in the street, one boy wearing a sailor suit. These building were demolished in October 1909 and some tenants had to be 'coaxed' to leave. On the site was built Reay Central School for boys, the first school planned and designed by the London County Council. It is now Reay Primary School. Hackford Road was formerly known as St Anne's Road; its name was changed in the 1860s.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.