Craft School in Stepney Green
Craft School in Stepney Green
More information
Craft School in Stepney Green
SC_PHL_01_399_A4709 (Collage 120341)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
Front elevation of the Craft School at number 37-39 Stepney Green, Stepney.

This Queen Anne House has steps with iron handrails leading up to the front door which has panelled pilasters and carved scroll brackets supporting a shell hood. There are basement windows at the level of the front steps, two windows each side of the front door, five first-floor level windows with Juliet balconies and five attic room windows.

This Grade II listed building was built in 1694 by Dormar Sheppard, an enslaver and merchant. Notable owners include Dame Mary Gayer, widow of the East India Company's Governor of Bombay, and in 1812-19 Nicholas Charrington, proprietor of the local Charrington Brewery. It became an institution and was a home for aged Jews after 1880, the Craft School in 1907, and served as Council Offices and a Careers Office during the 1980s. In 1998 it was purchased by the Spitalfields Trust and restored to become a family home.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.