Gate leading to a building in Stepney Green
Gate leading to a building in Stepney Green
More information
Gate leading to a building in Stepney Green
SC_PHL_01_399_60_2497 (Collage 120265)
London Metropolitan Archives: LCC Photograph Library
A view through the ornate gate of 37-39 Stepney Green, Stepney. There are steps with iron handrails leading up to the front door which has panelled pilasters and carved scroll brackets supporting a shell hood. There are two sash windows either side of the door, and five first-floor windows with Juliet balconies can be seen. This Grade II listed Queen Anne House was built in 1694 by Dormar Sheppard, a slave owner and merchant. Notable owners include Dame Mary Gayer, widow of the East India Company's Governor of Bombay, and in 1812-19 Nicholas Charrington, proprietor of the local Charrington Brewery. It became an institution and was a home for aged Jews after 1880, the Craft School in 1907, and served as Council Offices and a Careers Office during the 1980s. In 1998 it was purchased by the Spitalfields Trust and restored to become a family home.
Copyright London Metropolitan Archives, all rights reserved. Provided for research purposes only. For commercial and other uses please contact us via support@londonpicturearchive.org.uk
London Metropolitan Archives. Please cite document title, reference and collection.